Sunday, January 01, 2006

Here comes 2006

Despite the announcement of minus 10 on the ground below as the plane back started its descent, I felt happy to return to Berlin to celebrate the beginning of 2006. However, I'm unimpressed with the mean spirited people who decided that when New Year’s Day falls on a Sunday that’s the only holiday you get. It’s stingy in the extreme, and impractical as surely nobody can contribute anything of use to society without at least two days to recover from the excesses of NYE? Not least from the ordeal of having to run the gauntlet of deranged children throwing fireworks at you (AT you, mark you) while simultaneously trying to negotiate ice packed snow in unsuitable New Year’s Eve shoes. Still, it was a good night, and I can remember almost all of it.

One of my best Christmas presents is a small model of Jesus on the cross, with tiny but bright lights that flash in quick succession around his frame, lighting up each of his stigmata. I was slightly disappointed that there wasn’t one for the wound in his side, but it’s still fantastic. I made my brother buy it for me at one of the Christmas markets.

New Year Resolutions:
1. To stop fancying the priest
2. To spend more time perfecting the skill of outstaring babies and young children. In future they’ll be picking the wrong person when they turn those unblinking eyes on me.
3. Not to dance with anyone who smells of sick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home