Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Armageddon - The Musical

Saw an advert in the paper today for ‘Aida - The Musical.’ Another small but bitter blow against the hope of maintaining some form of intelligent life on earth. Operas rewritten as musicals, reality shows and celebrity gossip (about the contestants of reality shows) - don't all of these things eat away at people's brains until finally they can converse about nothing but house prices? Point proved by the fact that here in Berlin, where many people have never even heard of Kate Moss, the probably longterm fallout from capitalist globalisation is a more likely topic of after dinner conversation.

Football of course is now part of the same brain-numbing side show, but you can't abandon your team when they're down. The Leeds situation is getting more and more desperate. At this point I feel about Dennis Wise the way I felt about George Graham - if he can keep us up then I’ll forgive him for everything. Of course with Mr Bung we were only threatened with relegation to the then Division 1. No amount of name changing can make the third division anything other than the third division, and I quake in horror at the thought of it, though my Lincoln City supporting friend is full of glee at the prospect of playing us next season. I suppose at least I might finally be able to afford to go to matches again.

Fortunately, thanks to my kind brother I now have the entire second series of Green Wing to cheer me up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home