Monday, January 29, 2007

Heimatlos

As impending homelessness looms, I'm seeing all sorts of peculiar places in my as yet fruitless search for an unbefrist furnished flat. Went to a one room place today which numbered among its features a door in the front wall which opened onto a sheer five floor drop (a metal barrier had been stuck across it, but only to about mid-thigh height) and a single kitchen unit into which both the (electric) cooker and the sink had been built. The electricity cable appeared to run between the hot and cold taps, falling something short of the levels of health and safety you might expect from the engineering minded Germans. I'm also spending lengthy periods trying to decipher messages left by an estate agent with what I thought was a serious speech impediment, but which turns out to be a strong Brandenburg accent.

I was very happy when the rain came back and melted away the frozen snow yesterday, as it meant that I could get my bike out again. I didn't feel safe cycling on the ice, especially what with the local habit of turning the traffic lights off to save on electricity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home